Beginning with Fall 2016, Koç University has become a regional partner for the Global Social Venture Competition. Therefore, GSVC @ KU will organize both Round One and Regional Semi-Final rounds for the GSVC.
Applicant teams from Turkey, Balkans, Europe and the MENA Region can apply for GSVC Round One through Koç University. From the Round One, 2-4 teams will be selected to move forward for the Regional Semi-Finals which will be virtually hosted by Koç University.
Round One Partner for Turkey, Balkans, Europe and the MENA Region
Koç University was selected in the Spring of 2011, and over the past two academic years has overseen the Round One of the GSVC in Turkey. As hosts to the GSVC, we engage students and faculty from many universities in Istanbul and across Turkey, in the Balkan countries, and to aspring social entrepreneurs across North Africa and the Middle East. By reaching out to this diverse stakeholder community of entrepreneurs, mentors, students, and representatives from the private, public and third sectors, Koç University serves an ambassador for social venture creation in Turkey, the Balkans, and the MENA region.
For the GSVC 2016-2017, Koç University will collect and evaluate applications from the applicant teams from Turkey, the Balkans, Europe and the MENA region for the GSVC Round One.
A select number of teams will be chosen to move forward to the Regional Semi-Final Rounds which will be virtually hosted by Koç University. Teams that advance to the semi-finals will have mentors, assigned by Koç University, to help them develop the full business plan of their social venture concept.
Regional Partner for Turkey, Balkans, Europe, the MENA Region and Africa
Koç University is a GSVC regional partner and responsible for organizing GSVC Regional Semi-Finals for applicant teams coming from Turkey, Balkans, Europe, MENA and Africa regions. Regional Semi-Finals @ KU will be held virtually. From the regional round, two teams will be selected as finalists and will then be flown to California, for the final round of judging at University of California, Berkeley in April 2017.
Roles & Goals of Outreach Partners:
* Play a critical role in the regional expansion of the competition and serve to attract local interest in social venture development and GSVC.
* Beyond marketing the competition to students, professionals, and entrepreneurs and holding local events educating their communities about social entrepreneurship,
* Actively mentor entrants and conduct preliminary rounds of judging.
* Build a “critical mass” of interest in social ventures and professionals collaborating with GSVC worldwide.
* Execute a local social venture business plan competition and/or first-round executive summary judging to send top plans to a regional competition managed by a GSVC Regional Partner (exact number and round to be determined by the Managing and Regional Partners).
* Assist Regional Partners in marketing, funding, and organizing regional finals.
GSVC - Structure of the Competition: